Every project is different. Not all designers approach their projects as such and have a formula or a look that they strive to stay within. We have a process that we like to work within for our projects but sometimes you have to be flexible enough to chuck it out the window and just go with it. Our Unionville project has been very well planned but there have been a few areas that we decided to leave until more of the pieces were in so that we could assess. Specifically, the family room. The space is open to the eating area in the kitchen but as you have seen, we have dramatically changed the kitchen overall so that meant seeing what sort of transition spaces we were left with. I had originally specified some recliner club chairs for the space but pulled the plug on them after the island was positioned. I felt they were too big and were going to seem even bigger in the space given the insanely amazing fabric we've chosen to go on them. We've had a hell of a time finding a suitable replacement to fit the space mostly because there are few of them to sit in. We have catalogues galore but the clients want to be able to sit and try them out. We are hoping we've found a solution but that's still to come.
The Family Room is a small but big space. It's long and narrow but because it is open to the rest of the kitchen, it doesn't feel oddly shaped. Put two sofas on either side of the fireplace and voila it's really awkward. We can't pull the sofas in to be closer to the coffee table/ottoman in the middle because that will cut off being able to put chairs in and reduce the seating. So we have to keep them as far back as we can to allow for entry into the space. This means however, that we need a coffee table or ottoman that is over 6ft if both sofas are going to be able to reach it. A 60" long piece still leaves 20" from the edge of each sofa to the table/ottoman. I'm now thinking we need to do some sort of ottoman/two tables or two stool option to fill up the space. Finding all of these pieces and having them work together is proving trickier than I thought. Adding in the need to do so with a nod to our budget, more so.
Here's what we are toying with - nothing in stone I've just thrown out loose concepts to the client to see where the ideas land.